Thursday 8 November 2012

A sneak peak at how to make clothing for yourself

Placing pattern pieces on fabric
Making clothing is a very satisfying hobby, and it can grow to be a lucrative business, if that were the route you would like to follow.  I started making some clothes for a few friends, and myself.  Then later I went to college to acquire more skills.  Now I supply a couple of stores in the Cape Town area.
I also do once off garments for personal clients, and I still make some items for myself. I know a few girlfriends that are interested in making their own clothing, so I thought I would start something for them.

The basic steps are:
1.  Getting an idea. 
When making an item, the outfit should best suit your shape and colouring.   When making for someone else, keep in mind that in this job the customer is NOT always right.
Eg.  People believe that the clothing should be loose fitting, the bigger the size, but the truth is that tighter fitting clothing actually could accentuate the right features making a person appear sexier and more stylish.

Cutting out the pieces
2.  Buying the pattern or making one yourself
when you have acquired the skills

3.  Finding the best fabric. 

4.  Placing the pattern on the fabric

5.  Cutting out the fabric pieces
 
6.  Sewing the correct pieces to each other,
with the correct machine (We can go into that another time as there are many different types of sewing machines which are used for various different stitches.)

7. And finally ironing the garment before you wear it.

Please leave a comment or any questions.  I would love to hear how I could help you make your first outfit without having it look like a homemade item.

 
Displaying the garment in a shop

Finally, completing the process, you wearing the garment.






2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your skills with us, really love the lessons...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anonymous, I enjoy sharing them.

      Delete