Monday 3 December 2012

Using our words wisely...

A word fitly spoken and in due season is like apples of gold in settings of silver.
Proverbs 25:11

I do part time Au pair work for a family, the little boy is nine years old and the girl is six.  On Friday her daddy asked her to pack a few toys for the weekend away, so I gave her a bag to begin this huge task.  I mean, what do you choose, soft toys, Lego, computer games or possibly some outside toys?

She took the bag and opened it to start packing her toys.  Then she said to me “Ok auntie Joline, get in!  I want to take YOU on my holiday.”

What do you say to that? 

I can’t explain to you how much that moment meant to me.  It was so precious.  She said a few innocent words, and did not know what impact it would have on me. It is unbelievable how our words could make someone’s day or break their hearts.


‘There are those who speak rashly, like the piercing of a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.’  Proverbs 12:18

So why don’t you try encouraging someone this week, or just choose different words than you would usually use and turn what you want to say into something positive.  You will be amazed at the outcome on both you and the other person.




1 comment: